You work hard, but the daily grind can be draining. With a seemingly endless to-do list of email, deadlines and studying, juggling life and work/school can take a toll on your creativity and productivity. Prevent burnout by carving out time every day to relax and renew. Here are five simple ideas to help your mind (and body) thrive in the Innovation Quarter.
Take a Walk on the Long Branch Trail
A 15-minute power walk on this 1.7-mile greenway might be the midday boost you need to let go of tension and find your calm. The trail, which starts at Martin Luther King Jr. Drive at the north, runs all the way to and connects with the Salem Creek Greenway. You can also bike or run on this publicly accessible pathway to help recharge.
The Innovation Quarter’s dedication to wellness is apparent in its programming options and events held throughout the year. Here are four ways you can reduce stress through exercise:
- Find your inner harmony with one of the many yoga classes offered in the Innovation Quarter. There’s Sunset Salutations held on select evenings, May through October, in Bailey Park. On the third Wednesday of each month from March through December, the Innovation Quarter YMCA hosts a free community yoga class in the atrium of Wake Forest Biotech Place from 11:45 am to 12:30 pm. And Incendiary Brewing Co. hosts a 45-minute yoga session every Monday in the coal pit at 5:30 pm. The cost is $10 and includes a fresh brew.
- On Thursdays, join the Innovation Quarter YMCA Trailblazers Run Group for a reinvigorating walk/run at 5 pm. The group meets at the Long Branch Trail near the back entrance of 525@vine. After the run, the group socializes at Incendiary Brewing Co.
- Feel the breeze on your face as you pedal your way around the Innovation Quarter with Zagster, a bike-share program. There are eight bike-sharing stations in Winston-Salem including one near Bailey Park on N. Patterson Avenue near Fourth Street. Zagster is a membership program with hourly or annual rates.
- Get your groove on at a Fair Witness dance party. Check the cocktail bar’s event schedule for the details on the parties, which are typically held Thursday evenings.
Enjoy the Green Space of Bailey Park
In the heart of the Innovation Quarter, Bailey Park is a 1.6-acre green space, perfect for relaxing and soaking up sunshine. Play a quick game of cornhole, spread a blanket on the grass or socialize with your peers/colleagues at one of the many patio tables. Check the Bailey Park calendar for events such as Innovation & Cinema and additional special programming.
Savor the Food & Drinks
Whether you are seeking comfort food, a quick bite for lunch, a delicious dinner or specialty cocktail, the restaurants/bars in the Innovation Quarter can provide the fuel you need to recharge.
- Chef’s Palette on the ground floor of Wake Forest Biotech Place offers a themed menu that rotates each month. Salads and sandwiches are standard, but depending on the menu, you can also order Asian fare, build-your-own Mexican bowls, made-to-order pasta and flat breads.
- Alma Mexicana, located in Bailey Power Plant, is a Tex-Mex restaurant that serves a variety of salads, rice bowls, tacos and burritos for lunch. In the evening, enjoy an expanded menu of tapas-style entrees. Alma Mexicana also has a full-service bar with an extensive cocktail menu, and its patio provides the perfect spot to sit and sip.
- Known for its coffee, Krankies also offers breakfast, lunch and dinner menu options such as breakfast burritos, biscuits, salads and burgers. The made-from-scratch desserts are also ideal when you hit that afternoon slump.
- And Monday through Friday from 11:30 am to 1:30 pm, head to Bailey Park for lunch from one of the scheduled food trucks.
- Mondays—King-Queen Haitian Cuisine, authentic Haitian and Caribbean dishes
- Tuesdays—Zeko’s 2 Go, Italian, Greek and Mediterranean dishes
- Wednesdays—Taqueria Luciano’s, tacos and Mexican dishes
- Thursdays—Camel City Grill, burgers, sandwiches and wraps
- Fridays—Urban Street Grill, Korean barbecue, tacos and burritos
- Relax with a tasty brew in the outdoor space of the coal pit or in the taproom of Incendiary Brewing Co., located in Bailey Power Plant. The brewery serves a variety of barrel-aged beers, spiced beers and classic styles.
- Enjoy one of the creative cocktails at Fair Witness. The bar, located on the corner of 4th Street and N. Patterson Ave., has a casual vibe and is a great spot to unwind.
Listen to Music
Bailey Park hosts a number of concerts throughout the year such as Bailey Blues & Bluegrass. Now through October 24, enjoy the lunchtime series every Wednesday from 11 am to 1 pm.
Past concerts have included Gears and Guitars. Be sure to check the Bailey Park calendar for upcoming events.
From music to food to exercise, the Innovation Quarter offers a variety of ways to recharge when you’re feeling frazzled. After you’ve decompressed, you’ll be ready to tackle your daily tasks with a renewed sense of purpose and restored energy.
When you feel your best, you’ll do your best.